I’ve finally figured out my favourite ways to cook tofu, and these vegan tofu nuggets are by far my #1. While I won’t make any claims that they’re “just like chicken nuggets”, they are absolutely delicious and I can guarantee that vegans and non-vegans alike will love them! The coating is crispy and delicious, and the tofu is cooked perfectly. Click here to jump straight to the recipe.
I prefer to cut my tofu before I press it, as I find it gets the liquid out quicker so you don’t have to wait as long to get cooking. To press, lay the nuggets between 2 sheets of paper towel and lay something heavy on top.
I don’t marinate the tofu in this recipe, because I put enough spices in the coating that I don’t think it’s necessary. If you’re wanting a little more flavour, I’d recommend using a chilli marinade.
The crumb coating that I use is panko breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast flakes, sesame seeds and a bunch of spices. If you don’t have or don’t like nutritional yeast, just use extra breadcrumbs instead. The nutritional yeast has an awesome savoury, kinda cheesy flavour (but not overpowering at all).
Because this recipe can be time-consuming, you can prep the tofu and batter beforehand so it’s ready to go when you want to start cooking. Just leave the pressed tofu and batter in the fridge (covered). That way, you can just throw together the crumb coating and get going.
Easy & Delicious Vegan Tofu Nuggets!
- 175g firm/extra firm tofu
- 3T plain flour
- 1T corn flour
- 1t baking powder
- ½C water
- 3T panko breadcrumbs
- 1T nutritional yeast flakes*
- Optional: a few drops of hot sauce
- 2t sesame seeds
- 1.5t garlic powder
- 1.5t onion powder
- 1t chilli powder
- 1t turmeric
- oil spray
- Preheat oven to 190C and spray a large baking tray with oil.
- Cut tofu into strips that are around 1cm thick and 5cm long. Using a 175g block of tofu, I make 12 nuggets.
- Press tofu between 2 sheets of paper towel and lay something heavy (like a thick book or frying pan) on top, for around 10 minutes.
- To make batter, whisk together flours, baking powder and water in a medium bowl. Also add hot sauce if you are using it. It should have a similar consistency to pancake batter - thick, but still able to be poured.
- To make coating, stir together breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast flakes, sesame seeds and spices. Lay on a large plate or dish, so that it's easy to coat the tofu nuggets in.
- Take each tofu nugget, cover with batter and coat with crumb. It'll be easiest if you use one hand to dip the nuggets in the batter, and keep the other one clean to use with the crumb.
- Lay the nuggets on the baking tray, and spray oil over the top of them.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Serve immediately. I like to serve with tomato sauce, roasted potatoes and salad.
** I also don't marinate the tofu in this recipe, because I think that the coating has enough flavour in it that it's not necessary (and I usually just can't be bothered waiting!). If you would like to marinate yours, however, I think a chilli sauce would work perfectly with these. You may need to press the tofu longer that I have here (more like 20-30 minutes), and marinate the nuggets for at least 30 minutes.
If you love this recipe, don’t forget to share it!