These super simple vegan pancakes with coconut and blueberries are absolutely amazing just by themselves. But, drizzled with this easy peasy caramel sauce? ABSOLUTE HEAVEN! These pancakes are so easy to prepare, you’ll be struggling not to indulge every damn day. Click here to jump straight to the recipe.
If you’re using frozen blueberries that you haven’t already defrosted, just zap them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds so they’re ready to go. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and create a well in the centre. Whisk together the oil and water in another small bowl, then add into the dry mix and stir. Add in the coconut and blueberries, and mix it through.
If the batter is too thick (especially if you’ve added protein powder) or too runny (if the blueberries have lots of liquid), just even it out with either more water or more flour.
It’s easiest to make the caramel sauce after you make the pancake batter but before you cook it, that way it’s ready to pour over your freshly cooked pancakes when you’re done! This vegan caramel sauce seriously tastes like the real deal – I was literally salivating as it was cooking.
All you need is coconut oil, maple syrup and a somewhat neutral-tasting nut butter (like cashew or almond). Unless you want peanutty caramel, peanut butter will be too strong. If you don’t eat nuts, you can substitute in half the amount of vegan butter. You might need to add 1 – 2 teaspoons of cornflour, just to help the sauce thicken (especially if, like me, you’re a lil impatient!).
Once the sauce is done, leave it sitting on the stovetop so it can stay warm, stirring every so often. Heat extra vegan butter in a large frying pan, and add pancake batter in large spoonfuls. Flip after 1-2 minutes, once the bottom is cooked and golden.
Once the pancakes are all cooked, stack them up and drizzle with the caramel sauce. I also sprinkled on some roasted coconut chips, because I can never get enough coconut!
Coconut & Blueberry Vegan Pancakes with Caramel Sauce
- 1.25 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 0.5 cups desiccated coconut
- 0.5 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon vegan protein powder
- pinch of salt
- vegan butter or extra oil for cooking
- 0.25 cups coconut oil
- 0.25cups maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter*
- If using frozen blueberries, allow to defrost or microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and protein powder (if using) into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Whisk water and oil together in a small bowl, and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Stir until combined and add blueberries and coconut. Mixture should be viscous - if it's too runny add a small amount of extra flour, or if its too thick add a small amount of extra water.
- To make the caramel sauce, melt coconut oil and maple syrup in a small saucepan for 1 minute. Whisk through nut butter for about 30 seconds until fully incorporated and sauce is smooth. If your sauce isn't thickening as quick as you'd like, just add 1 - 2 teaspoons of cornflour.
- Heat vegan butter or oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add pancake batter by large spoonfuls onto the pan.
- Cook until bubbles form in the centre and flip. Cook until lightly browned on both sides.
If using larger blueberries, press down gently with a fork to flatten. This makes them easier to work with.
If you love this recipe, don’t forget to share it!